The School made a commitment at Kellett 2018 (AGM) to reduce its impact on the environment. To start us on that journey we undertook a Green Audit (possibly a first for a school in Hong Kong). Since then we have been working hard to set Kellett on a more sustainable path.
We have established a sustainability governance framework that ensures a whole school approach. The Green Steering Group, includes members of the Senior Management Team - Head of KLB Prep, Director of Finance & Operations, Director of Development & Community Relations - as well as a Board Member. Working with the Steering Group is the Green Working Group made up of teachers from each school and floating membership from amongst students, partners and parents depending on what the group is focussing on.
Some key eco-developments;
- Recycling of plastics, food, paper and metal in each campus
- Air travel by staff and students offset, with the offset money earmarked for green school initiatives, including a sustainable entrepreneurship fund that students can bid for.
- Monitoring and reduction of energy use, for example through switching to LED lights.
- A new swimming pool blanket to reduce heat loss
- Donation of used cooking oil for processing into biofuel
- Distribution of excess food to underprivileged communities via Foodlink and Food Angel
- Elimination of plastic straws
- Pressed paper boxes with wooden cutlery for take away from school canteen
- A discount if you bring your own mug to our campus café.
- A new clearing station in the dining hall to separate recyclable waste.
- Phasing out single use plastic in favour of non-plastic or recyclable materials
- Glass bottles replaced by cans.
Keep up to date with all the latest green news by following our 'Green Kellett' Twitter account.